Monday, May 24, 2010

Creativity on the Loose!


This is awesome. There is just no other adjective that applies to the crochet poodle bottle cover. If I was judging this as a project, it would have an A++ seriously. The craftsmanship is perfect- crochet stitches tight, the pompoms handmade and secure, the nose shaped perfectly. Not a loose string to be seen. But the cincher is the expression on the poodle's face- priceless! It's gazing down on it's unicorn admirers as if to say "Don't worry- we may of found ourselves in reduced circumstances (boxlots at the auction) but I am certain that someone will see our true worth and we shall be restored to our place of splendor in a well-appointed home." I don't know who acquired this treasure, but I hope the poodle has a good home~
I get empathic with the handmade things that show up at auction- I know how much time, effort and love has to go into making something... in order to make anything you end up caring about it deeply. The caring could be the pride of accomplishment, the struggle with the technical, the hope that it really will be 'just perfect' for the recipient, the hope that someone will love it enough to part with money for it. Some of my creations I find very easy to let go- for sale or gifties or whatever- but that doesn't mean that I don't care about it when I'm making it, and hope that it will be loved for a long time.
I had to say 'no' to the poodle- I can't rescue everything and I really truly have no place for it (or desire to have it- not my style *at all*)... and some of the handmade stuff we get in is truly hideous. (I can imagine someone unwrapping it and saying 'uh.....gee... Thank you for the...ah, um, did you make this yourself? wow.) (and yes, that has happened to me before!) but sometimes there are things that we can't resist. The manz bought a stack of afgans at another auction- $3.00 for the lot of 7- they were beautifully made, clean, good colors (solid dusty roses, mossy greens, and a cream) We had them at spring fest and one of my student's mothers bought two for her older daughter's college apartment. That daughter actually sent me a thank-you note on facebook- she loved them (and... I must confess... is under the illusion that I made them.) Confession again, I didn't make them (I cannot crochet despite Mother's best efforts to teach me- she taught my best friend Karen and I when we were in 5th grade....Karen caught right on and was soon whipping out scarves, afghans, blankets...I was soooo jealous!) Anyway, I chose to not spoil the illusion that I had made them, for the magic of them is enhanced by the thought. And that's ok.

No comments: