Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Black Coffee and Jiffy the Skunk

black coffee and Jiffy the skunk
Today I am going to learn how to drink black coffee, hot.  I can drink it cold without a problem (strange, eh?) but hot? Haven't done that since I was in college the first time (I think I drank it then because dorm refrigerators weren't invented yet, and I dislike powdered creamer).  But today- today we are out of milk, and cash-on-hand, and besides that, I'm not going to Walmart at this hour.  I want to write, and read, and start my day instead.  Well... actually there is a spot of milk left, but I'll let the manz have it because his coffee requires milk and lots of sugar, and I earn bonus points on the 'martyrwife' chart.  (which I would also earn by digging around for change and taking myself to Walmart, but that is so not going to happen~).

Last few days of school, I have everything packed up, cleaned up, signed off on except the papers we do today- and that's ok, because I can concentrate on starting up the virtual high school job, getting my personal ducks in a row etc.  I am feeling the flush of summer- maybe because clayplague has finally left, maybe because the students are gone and - while I do really love them- the silence and ability to concentrate for more than 2 seconds is nice.  Maybe it is that I am not taking courses, that I am eating right- or trying to- that I went to the beach, have books to read, a new project to play with (that is just for me! It's not an example, or a gift, or bread-n-butter art or anything but an abandoned backpack that was a) free  b) perfect for me- color, size, shape and c) I can do with it whatever I want to. )  

I think I'm waking up and I feel great.  Beyond great.  And that is a good thing.

Now Jiffy, the Skunk, came as one of my auction treasures from the Manz on Saturday.  He brought back a van load of scrap metal, a recliner to sell (it looks like my old blue one I had at the beach), a door for the doorway between the studio and living room (there is an ongoing boundary battle with the 'no cats' in the living room.  It involves a cat gate that I am forever tripping over, the spray bottle and constant vigilance. Truthfully, I could care less if the cat was in the living room, but it keeps the manz and cat busy and happy to play this game).  Anyway- there is also an assortment of plant shelves, some metal roosters to paint and sell,  an absolutely stunning concrete lion, assorted art treats like sidewalk chalk and crayons (the estate was that of a teacher.  All teachers have chalk on hand, no matter how long they were retired), cuff links with Huckleberry Hound on them, 2 tiny gold purse key chains that open and close, Jiffy the Skunk, and my favorite thing- a pair of small brass cuff links with owls on them.  I have unconsciously developed quite an affinity with owls lately- entirely not on purpose- just find them everywhere, have been drawing them constantly.

Anyway, I dissembled the owl links last night and sewed them onto my new backpack, along with an embroidered border and some small pink/purple frosted glass beads that look flowerish to me.  Perfect!

I love the manz- I love summer, a new project, and yes...I am learning to love black coffee.

No comments: