Sunday, November 1, 2009

All Hallows



Yesterday was Halloween, one of my favorite holidays ever- I have always loved the spooky, the costumes, the excitement and of course, the chocolate. It was the perfect Halloween day- a little cold, dark but not to stormy. Felt like fall and all of our decorations glowed in the gloom.


I went to downtown Burgaw with some of my kids for the festival- we were in the sidewalk art contest. The kids drew a grim reaper and a cleaning witch- just for fun I made the vampire with the 'don't be afraid...get smart take ART!' It reminded me of when I was growing up and we would go down and paint the windows at Glosser Brothers for Halloween... I was so mad the year that my design was chosen then Richie Moore (I still remember his name!) changed it all around. bleah. Well, I have my revenge as an art teacher... and actually, now that I think of it, I kinda did the same thing to Neena yesterday (sorry Neena). See, Josh and his brother were there first, so they began working on Rico's grim reaper drawing. Neena and Ariel showed up an hour late, and I wouldn't let them do Neena's grim reaper (two reapers are one to many, even though Neena's was a female grim reaper) so they changed it into a kitchen witch. In the meantime, I entertained myself with the vampire drawing and another one, 'the discovery of cake'. Not quite sure how I ended up with this- it is based on a 'hungry ghost' cartoon I did in my sketchbook- I was just amusing myself with imagining two aliens landing in a pumpkin patch on Halloween. They somehow come across a cake, and are enthralled with it...eating and eating until their bellies are big as punkins.... it made me laugh and puzzled everyone else, but what is Halloween without a good mystery?

No comments: