Sunday, July 8, 2012

MoJo


This is one of the things I have been working on the last few days- a mojo box.  I've really been loving working on it- and planning for all the cool things that I am going to make and collect to put inside of it.  It started out as a typewriter case (sans typewriter).  Since I have a urge to collect old suitcases (as well as other things), it was something I've had around for a while- full of misc papers, sitting on the top of two other suitcases in the rose room that make up a table.  It is a great case- sturdy, with the clips inside, deeper than most suitcases and perfectly square. The original covering was canvas, of that odd green/brown/blueish color that happens when suitcases fade.  The interior was once blue, but now the color of dark dust- the vinyl trimming was in brown.  Practical, sensible but just waiting for a make-over.

Mojo box was one of the things that have been kicking around my back brain for awhile.  I knew from the moment I bought it that I wanted to do something with it, but wasn't sure what.  Went through the flip of ideas of turning it into an installation-type art project, making it Victorian Steam-punkish (which would of been cool- but I will save that for another day) but decided that I am tired of making art that is brown.  Brown *is* my favorite color (go figure), and I love the antique look of the other things I make, but it is summer and I wanted to do something bright and different and fun and just-for-me.  I had recently (since Texas) repainted an old student sculpture of a giant kitty head (cartoon shaped, not realistic) in the day of the dead style, and it turned out really well.  The manz loved it, I posted it on facebook and everyone else loved it- so I decided to continue on in that vein.

My colors of mojo are black, turquoise blue, white, red.  These are the base colors for all of my Robert Johnson work (2 guitars, an icon, a large embroidery- others) and the colors that I am drawn to when working with the mojo theme.  Mojo, for the unaware, is basically Southern folk magic, associated with a blend of cultures and traditions- focused mainly on the things that are important to the 'common folk'.  Love and sex, money and health. The basics. What am I going to put in it?  I don't know- stuff.  Things to sell. The little felt creations I've been sewing.  Magic.  Hopefully today I will finish the outside painting, start on the interior (the base is done), think about some possibilities for what to put inside.  Lots of plans, lots of potential, lots of fun. 

No comments: