Monday, August 23, 2010

Welcome to Paradise!

Happy Monday Everyone!  Sometimes you just have to share the special, special start to your day... it makes it easier to have some humor about it.

So anyway, everyone knows that our AC is broken- and last night there was a humongous storm, thunder/lightening/downpour....lovely and I fell asleep at once.  Then I woke up at 11 all hot and itchy, was up for hours watching Hoarders then finally playing computer Mah-jong.  Which shows absolute no-sleep desperation.  Ok- so today is a loooooong day at school because we have open house until 7:30.  It's doable because *hey* there is AC at school (abandoning cranky manz and doggs and cat to hothouse)!  I have a school-spirit photo-op backdrop painting to knock out this am so I have on my comfy jeans- but I brought along the appropriate dress/heels for tonight.  Professional and all that, plus saving gas money (no trips home- we are waiting on ECU to pay me.... argh.)   Anyhoo, all good to go- right?

Well, for starters I'm mostly down the road when I realize that I have forgotten: the camera, the pictures for the library and to make arrangements to get rid of the broken futon today.   It's ok, can cope- will borrow camera from media center, bring the pictures tomorrow and somehow deal with the futon (am magic that way).   I pull into my bright shiny new parking place (I miss being #1, but #8 is lucky!), scoop up my armfuls of stuff (maggie bag + tote bag + lunch bag + Noah's painting + dress clothes) and head down the side walk.  We are building an auditorium, so the sidewalk is a bit rough in places, and unexpectedly reaches up and grabs you.... SPLOOSH!  down I went into a ginormous mud puddle.  Minor skinning of toes, wrecking of freshly applied polish- not a big deal.  But my jeans are soaked, I landed on my dress clothes, the lid of my okra came off and I have yumbo spilt all over my lunch bag inners.... but the Maggie bag and computer landed on top of me so that is a goood thing!  

Here I am in my office, which is a balmy 65 degrees  (do I have a sweater?  noooo....only one covered in mud puddle ick).   I am running my dress/sweater through the school washer (hoping that it won't come out smelling like a football jersey).  I am just dealing with my jeans- they'll probably be dry by the time my dress is done.  What I would really like to do is go home, take another shower and try again- but instead I'll just keep camping on- at least it makes for an entertaining start to the year!!!

No comments: