Monday, January 17, 2011

Chinaberry Tree



This is a Chinaberry tree, between the shed and the garden over at the farm.  I had never seen one before- I just knew Chinaberries from the hard dried up fruits used to make necklaces. I was rather surprised that they were all soft and squashy, but that explains how they would be strung- I would hate having to drill all those tiny holes!  I started reading about this tree, it is a relative of mahogany, grown for timber and here as an ornamental that has become invasive.  The fruits ferment on the tree, and birds get drunk off of them- they do not hurt the birds but are quite poisonous to humans.  They must actually have to be ingested I suppose- here I am thinking of generations of people stringing necklaces and getting their hands in their mouths before washing them.  When I googled it though, I only found cases of dogs being poisoned by them.  Anyway, this is curious because the chinaberry is thought to bring good health and rapid growth- a cure balanced by a curse.  Chinaberries were used to string religious beads- rosaries, prayer bracelets, necklaces- in many different cultures.  I'm thinking now of going and collecting some, making a something- but I'll be certain to wash my hands and keep it away from the dogs, no fear.

No comments: