Friday, January 7, 2011

Resolutions as Re-Solutions

Of course I made resolutions- I do every year.  I don't keep them every year (or I wouldn't be so fat!) but it's like a crap shoot- if I get to keep 25% of them, it pays off.  So far, that is holding pretty well- and I have learned that it is the long-term goals that I am good at keeping.

For example, resolutions that I make every year but always mess up: dieting/losing weight/eating healthy, exercise (except for the mental exercise of thinking about 'gee, I should exercise), entering an art show a month, writing a book.

But the resolutions that work- the ones in progress for the past few years include: buying a house (even if it *is* tumble down), paying off dept (slowly but surely- if we turn a big blind eye to student loans.), going back to school (with a vengeance!), doing my best at work (I'm moving along, as fast as a public school teacher can while avoiding the ball-n-chain of becoming a principal.  I would make a lousy principal, because I hate telephones.)

So, this year I have taken some time- a whole week!- before making resolutions.  Here they are, problems and solutions.

1. The food thing.  I am to big- it's not healthy, I don't like the way I look in the stomach area.  My issue with food is that I loooooove to eat, like all foods (no discrimination- I can over do Brussels sprouts as well as cookies).  I have bad food habits- I eat when tired, stressed, happy, celebrating, working, sick, well.....again, no discrimination.  I've been working on it, and I can say: 'Oh, I'm not hungry, I'm stressed, that is why I'm eating" or "I'm having a wonderful time! Mmmmmmm.....snackycakes! Yay, I'm eating because I feel good and want to indulge myself".  Recognition is the first step, I suppose.  Now to find my 'turn off switch' - that is my resolution!

more to come, but right now I've gotta go to work!

No comments: