Sunday, May 1, 2011

May Day!I


I have no idea what this is- please help? Spiny stems, purple flowers, grows randomly in yard, isn't like the other wisteria.



Happy May Day!  It's been months and months- mid February to March, March to April, April to the first of May.  I'm not sure what happened, other than I fell off the world and have now scrambled back on.  Seriously, it was a case of extreme over doing it- workwise- even for me, followed by the flu-from-hell that finished out the last two weeks in April.... flu so bad, so prolonged that I missed almost a week of school (should of missed the whole week- the day and half I was there was useless- the kids did what they wanted and I tried to stay awake)...flu so bad that *I* missed 2 deadlines on papers, taking late grades for the first time in my life. ever. So bad that last night was the first night the manz was able to share the bed with me for well over a week- he has been sleeping in his chair, on the couch so I could have all 7 pillows to keep from coughing.  So bad that all I've eaten for days is hot-n-sour soup, vanilla icecream, toast and icy drinks.  (and still gained weight. ugh.)..... whine, whine, whine.  But today I am up, not hacking so much, eating strawberries with my coffee and feeling a little bit alive.  And I'm not the only one who suffered through this- Manz has been sick as well, though not in the chest (thank god) just persistent sinus headache and fever- he has been living in the chair.  Boy was also sick before- we moved him into his apartment and he is (hopefully) well.... we have heard from him a few times, so I know he hasn't expired...

Updates on Everyone:
Charles, the manz- is fine, other than the flu.  Has cheerfully put up with me and all of my overworking angst, dutifully attended assorted Spring school events (band concerts, art shows), kept the family in toast and food (wonderful man cooks even when he feels bad) and has been busy, busy between building Mz Mayes Church, working on David Jordan's house, and auction antics.  When he caught the flu last week, he finally stopped and took a few days off- I'm insisting he stays home until better....

Boy- came home at the end of March, found an apartment, and we moved him all the way out this past Monday.  The apartment is a tiny studio with a private bathroom and shared kitchen, but it is in Wilmington and in walking distance of everything needed- so can continue avoiding the car for a bit.  He is job hunting and going to school online, searching for a futon and adjusting to life outside the nest quite nicely.

Ursula- is fat-n-happy, loving that it is 'outside' time again and that the guineas are back.

Maxx- lives under my desk, *still* has an itchy dog butt despite rounds of antibiotics, steroids, expensive shampoo and benedryl.  he needs a buttectomy.  (nope, it's not fleas.  Some sort of other allergy?)

Turrello- continues to rule the house with an iron paw.  He is a mighty hunter who has eliminated all the mice (yay!) a few lizards (boo!) but mostly dog-hair-dust-bunnies.

Me- has finished this semester at ECU (all A's, but it about killed me), finished the assistantship there (sadly, there is not even money for my bosses job in the budget... so maybe no tasty assistantship $ next semester...), am almost finished with student teaching for NCVPS (the virtual highschool works its teachers *lots* harder than ECU) , finished the virtual reality courses through LEARNC....and am in kissing distance of finishing the year out at Trask.  Work this summer?  A few days for DPI, and hopefully the financial aid will come through so I can go to summer school and get the administration certification.

Making art?  often and compulsively.  I am- just a few weeks, but still- in to the second sketchbook of the year.  I get really crazy if I can't draw/paint/fuss about daily.... it's my tonic.   Along with taking my 'bad' class out for walks daily, good for them, good for me.

The house is a wreck, inside and the yarden has grown into a huge jungle due to nice weather + sick people + rain.   It's really wild, abandoned looking, everything has been blooming constantly- first the dogwoods and Jessamine, then azaleas and wisteria.  Now it's the frothy white pivet, mock oranges and the roses that have gone wild- (and the strange purple plant in the picture, no clue what it is except it is pretty, fast growing, and full of thin spiky thorns).  Inside the house is a shambles as well, disorganized from the move out, stacks of papers and books left over from school, coughdrops sprouting like mushrooms.   Everything needs a good scrubbing, cleaning, airing out..... but not quite there today.  And I left the sweeper at the boy's apartment.

Morninglory- we haven't had roadshows except for a few- maybe two, combination of rain, my working and then the bug. That should be coming back around again as well.....  but now, today...

Today we are just going to rest.   Finish that book.   Watch a movie.  Eat strawberries.  Take a break.

Love you all!



No comments: