Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Happy Birthday Cupcake Owens!


There's a Cupcake in my sister's kitchen!

Once upon a time I swore that I was done with love and marriage... and then there was Mr. Owens, and suddenly I am married, and three years later, more in love than before.  And today is his birthday~ 

I love him because his is smart and kind, funny, romantic and appreciates the small gestures.  Because he saved Turrello, and loves that cat so very much- they are the true soul-mates in this house.  Because he has an amazing beard, and long hair, and is tall and thin and all the things I find handsome in a man- and because that is natural, and not contrived.  He just is.  I love him for being easy going and even tempered (except for phone calls, but then only when needed), for his talents of cooking and making and singing and acting.  Owens is pretty awesome- and this past year he has really come into his own. 

You know, this is surprisingly hard to write- so much to say, hard to say it- I sound all mushy and I don't care....and no, we are not perfect, either one of us, but we have learned to adapt to each others shortcomings and are working towards balance.  Everyday, several times a day, we tell each other that we love each other- and know that we mean it.

Now, I admit, I love lots of people.  And I tell them that- I am one of those who believes that you can never hear it enough, that it is a kind of life rope for the soul.  But I mean it, always.  If I say it, I mean it- if I don't I won't say it- often does not mean casual.   And there are different types of love- the affectionate exasperation/amusement that I have for my students, the friendly respect/dependence for friends/peers like Donna and LC, the love for my kin and family, my Mother and sisters,  the love for my best friend, the love for my son.  Love for things- my passion for art and knowledge, writing and making and imagining, good stories, adventures, food, beauty. Some of this love is quiet, steady and enduring, others gradually fade in a normal, natural way.  Others last forever.

I love Mr. Owens.  And this love has grown from friendship, to passion, to romance, to the constant warmth of the heart.  He forgives me when I screw up, and I forgive him- we are patient with each other, stay connected to each other, accommodate our differences- and are living a good adventure.  

So, Happy Birthday Husband!  I wish we had met long ago- we would of had millions of kids- but I am grateful that we are together now.  I am proud of you, love you and am so glad that you are part of this world.  And no, you are *not* old- we are only starting the second half of our lives!  We have many, many years to go- and they are going to be good ones.

No comments: