Thursday, January 3, 2013

Microscopes and the Day of Small Omens


Sketchbook page from 'Vote', Fall 2012

Today- and some of yesterday- is a day of small omens.  Good? Bad? Well, omens of disruption, an odd current running through the world.  It started with my phone, which inexplicably refused to disconnect from a call.  Thus no one could call me, and I could call no one, or access any normal phone stuff.  Of course I was blissfully unaware of this all day until the manz called my office phone after work... I though it was a case of lost signal, so I went out to the car, which turned on to the mileage of 66660 (I took a picture! weird).  And then I fixed the phone (when in doubt, turn something off, wait a bit, turn it back on again.  Most always works for computer things.)  Anyway, small but weird.

This morning it was nothing so obvious- just little annoyances one after the other.  The cat threw up twice, Bear howled when my alarm went off (she doesn't usually howl- but this was full-on bloodhound voice, which the manz miraculously slept through. Now, he magically wakes up if I sneak out of bed for a midnight m&m, but dogg howls?  Nothing to em.).  Then I split the wet coffee grounds, and then the dry coffee.  Thought I was grabbing one color of shirt but ended up with another.  Just small things. Slightly curious things.

Anyway, onwards.  Of microscopes and sketchbooks.  Yesterday while my students were working, I began to photograph my sketchbooks.  Part of something that I've wanted/ needed to do for a long time- so let's call it a New Years Resolution.  Most of them have names, some don't, and I am notoriously bad at dating things so it takes some detective work to figure out what year they are from.  I managed to get through three books yesterday- 2 from last year and one from 2010- a total of 300 some odd photos of double paged spreads.  Not portfolio quality pictures (or work) but just so I don't have to frantically shuffle through physical books when I am trying to find something.  And for posterity, or at least the illusion of it.  An interesting journey into how I record my world, thoughts, life... and what I tend to draw over and over.  One of those things is my microscope.

I've always, always, loved science- and it seems that there has always been a microscope in my life.  I remember a small red plastic one when I was little, and an older one in a case.  I know one Christmas Sue and Tom gave me a nice one- with slides and cover slips and all the good things.  In college I had access to labs full of scientific scopes... and then somehow I ended up with no microscope at all.  Awhile ago at the auction- after I met the manz, before we were married I think- I acquired a nice, small, very old brass microscope.  I don't use it for looking through so much (though it does work), but I use it for looking at.  It lives in our living room on one of our curiosity shelves at the moment.... and I draw it often.  Very often, as it turns out... more so than I thought I did.  One of my enduring symbols, I suppose.  The drawing above was done this fall- ink pen for the most part (both sides)- while watching something or other on TV.  The color side is of our hearth- the red glass cornucopia, rocks brought back from Asheville, pine cones, blue hydrangeas from the yarden, the cauldron, horseshoe and gold rug. On the right, plain black pen- other things on our shelves- one of the butterflies, Charles's magnifying glass, ink bottle and quill pen, some random grass (just for decoration!) a plate-thing, for some reason unknown the letter 'f' and number '5', and the microscope.  Just bits and spots of our things, our lives, one night in front of the TV.

No comments: