Thursday, January 19, 2012

Hellos Crow!

Crow bag- in progress.

Winter is the time for sewing- I'm taking a bit of a break from drawing in my sketchbook to return to embroidery.  I haven't embroidered seriously for quite awhile- and I don't count this as serious- but I have always kept sewing.  A few stitches and charms onto my brown backpack (rescued from the lost and found at the end of last year- brand new, one of the sling types, a brand I could never afford).  Lots of little random felt charms (I will post a photo of those at some point, when I found where I stashed them all)- basically the Turkish eyes, apples, hearts. And some practical stuff- a camera holder with a swallow and heart, an eyeglass case, a cell phone holder.  (All of which I can't find now either- even though I used them for a bit~) 

I have loved embroidery since Mother taught me how (another gift I owe her!  She is where I inherited all the art from!) and have always designed my own work- all of which I have (that wasn't given away or sold).  I even have things sewn on tiny scraps of cloth- I was fussed at because they weren't big enough to do anything with- but I have them still. (and still, they remain not big enough to do anything with- and also now to fragile).  I have made crewel embroidery seasons (Mother has those- the fox, rabbit, unicorn and doves), a bright, funky 'club dino' denim jacket I embroidered for Grendel when he was a baby, the huge female figures with pomegranates that I did in college, a white work on the centers of antique doilies with tiny tiny tiny crystal beads and pearls.  But this type is different- although I have done it before- and it is much more like sketching than painting.

Felt is a wonderful thing (as well as being super-trendy at the moment).  It doesn't fray or shoot off loose threads, you can cut it into anyshape and it will hold its edges, you can steam it and it will tighten magically to secure the threads. (have to be careful though, as it can tighten to much and warp).  I have been using just plain old 20 cents a sheet craft felt, and cotton DMC floss (I have a ton of it- there are always bags of it at the auction), some stray buttons and beads.  Like I said, I started with the small charm things, just kind of playing around.  Then I made the apple charm.  Then a larger heart covered in white buttons that I have no idea what to do with- it is to heavy to sew onto anything, but is lovely.  Then the crow- mostly done this past weekend when I was watching 'Rawhide' with the manz.  (There is a lot to be said for old black and white Westerns that include a young Clint Eastwood- bad hair but handsome man).  Anyway- the crow turned out bright and funny and I wanted to do something with it- so I dug out this olive messangerish bag that I've had.  It's the bag  I bought to replace my black MaggieBag, but it was swiftly replaced by my discovery of the brown backpack.  (Stay with me- I know- it's a lot of bags to keep up with- I have a *ton* of bags....but then I settle on one and that is the one I use constantly).  So- I put the crow on it.  And then the heart/sun (I am obsessed with hearts now.  In December it was cut paper snowflakes.  I am regressing to grade school)- I'm not quite sure if I like the heart/sun, but it is only in progress and headed for more rays and swirls.  There will be tree branches as well- maybe leaves, maybe not.  It's just growing, but it is such fun to work quickly with felt, and bright colors, loose stitches and shiny stuff.  I don't have to think or concentrate, I just sew- and watch Mr. Eastwood save the day.

No comments: