Friday, January 20, 2012

Of actions and words


There are a few things that I try to avoid discussing with most people, and they include: politics and religion. I avoid these because I have my own views, which I happily keep to myself as...well...they are different from most of those who voice-their-views constantly.  Which is their right and privilege, but it is also my right and privilege not to listen.  And to think that in a way, it is bad manners in certain circumstances.  For being so liberal and casual, I'm all about manners.  

But today I am going to beak my rule and explain why I put the 'Stop Sopa' sign up on the blog.  Thing is, when asked to identify myself politically, I always respond with anarchist.  Not as in the running around wildly burning and looting punk-rock anarchist that is portrayed by the media, but as in the viewpoint that anarchy is the result of ultimate freedom though practicing personal responsibility.  This includes taking care of myself as an individual, and helping others because I *choose* to, am not made to.  This also includes the freedom to make my own choices, accept the consequences of those choices good or ill without expecting anyone else to solve my problems.  Unless they volunteer to.  This political system would never work in reality, because there are always people who are not responsible, who whine when stupid actions end in stupid results, who blame everything and everyone without taking any positive action to correct the situation.  

Now, in context with the stop Sopa movement, I *do* speak up when I feel that my actions are important and will make people think.  SOPA is something that on the surface may sound like a good thing- stop online piracy act- but at the moment it is to broad.  Like trying to water a flowerpot with a river- to much of something necessary is as bad as to little.  As an artist and educator, I am aware of copy write issues and how they impact mass media, money and creators rights to make money off their works.  However, I also believe in the freedom to share all information- creative and otherwise- in the lovely collective conscious of the web.  I want *everyone* to be able to find/use/share without payment or penalty- because otherwise a price is put on knowledge/art/information that will instantly create an elitist grouping- those who can afford it, those who cannot.  The mirror of history shows us how well that idea worked in the middle ages (otherwise known as the 'dark ages') because literacy was limited to only those in the Church, masons, and very few others.  Even the nobility could not read or write for the most part........when you think of it in this matter, it becomes a bit tense.  Seriously, take your average teenager.  If they have to make the choice to shell out money for: a- a look at the CNN website (Time-Warner owns it, and supports SOPA), b- each reference site that they need for a class project (because SOPA would effectively wipe out lots of Wikipedia) or c- download a hot song to their ipod......guess which one most of them will choose?   For the most part- the art, the social, the videos,  the things that they identify with is what money will be spent upon while knowledge falls upon the back burner~    Money really does change everything.

Basically, as I told the kids, it comes to a point where you have to decide what kind of world you want to live in.  If you choose to be responsible and take action on matters- no matter how small the action, no matter if it is only things that matter to you- then you are walking in your right direction.  You are at least trying to have a say in it- but if you don't, well then, you are just a passenger on the bus.

No comments: