Monday, January 2, 2012

A Million Flowers Keep Me Warm


The weather has finally begun to turn- yesterday was bright, in the 70's, lovely, and I spent the afternoon in the yarden cutting away excess growth to make room for the new.  I moved the bottle tree to the front yard,  temporarily I thought, but I rather like it there- it's beautiful and unusual, even though they are becoming trendy.  That's ok, the spirits don't care- important thing is that they have homes that sparkle in the sun.  (If you don't know about bottle trees, the real reason for them, they are to protect the spirits of the dead.  In African legend, the dead wander the earth for three years waiting for judgement.  During that time they can spy on you and record your actions for use as a bargaining chip during judgement- "If you think *I* was bad, you should see what so-and-so is up to!  Let me tell you~".  The spirits can also be trapped and manipulated by evil bokor (magicans).  In order to keep the spirits safe, they are given homes- traditionally Knissi or Govi, but in the American South that became the bottle tree.  The spirits are attracted to the colors, the sparkle and most importantly, the head shape- and they snuggle in for their three years.  From this, it is said that bottle trees give safe harbor for any lost souls, keeping folks from being haunted and keeping the souls safe.  While this is an African/African-American tradition, there are similar stories all over the world- things hung in trees, the use of glass, providing a place for rest.) 

On our bottle tree- I have different colors of bottles, because of the way I make it- my favorite bottles are the dark cobalt blue.  (Which is why I insisted on finishing the wine-that-gives-me-a-headache.  I don't waste things, and I loved the bottle).  Uncle Jacks bottle is that color- (yes, I have bottles for people.  I don't know if they use them or not, but it makes me feel good) the same color that is in the background of the afghan above- the afghan with the paperweight/milliflora design.

Milliaflora means a million flowers, and is a type of glass making where rods are grouped then cut to make flower patterns.  The milliflora is then used in paperweights, jewelry, objects of art, small designs. Lovely stuff.  Mother made this afghan for me long, long ago- it is at least as old as Grendel, I'm thinking a bit older.  I always loved the colors, the patterns, the feeling of being wrapped in flowers caught in glass.  (That may not sound comfy, but it is-- rather how I imagine a spirit safe in a bottle tree must feel).  I remember her making this- it might of been during a visit, or even when I was still at home- sitting in her chair, crocheting away while Daddy watched TV (and ice cream.  I must include the ice cream, part of their nightly ritual and there was always some for the dogg- Heidi and later, Ginger).  Mother never had idle hands, she was always making the most beautiful things.  Embroideries, afghans, letters~ her art is what made me fall in love with creating, with threads and yarns and papers- even though I never caught on to crochet.  How to see pattern and design and blend threads to create beauty, how to be patient and let the art evolve on its own.  And always, always making things for others- always.  Personally, I am lucky enough to have several of her creations- the milliflora, two fisherman styles (one in beige, one in white), the blankets that were Grendels when he was a baby (one light weight, one heavier), bright zigzags made from leftovers (Charles has claimed that one), a plain heavy double lap sized made for Uncle Jack- probably others.  I know Grendel has his, a masculine solid square pattern, and I lost one (the huge grey and maroon afghan) to a fire long ago. (It fell from the loft onto a heater during the night...I was lucky- a lesser work would of gone up in flames, but this afghan was so heavy that the top smothered out the fire though the bottom burnt through- it saved my life, I am sure of it).  This one though- this one is my favorite, and I bring it out every winter when the weather changes, for it keeps me safe and warm.

No comments: