Monday, January 16, 2012

A Tale of Two Boots

Mr. Owens Boots

Let me tell you about Mr. Owens~ or rather, let's look at his boots- they tell the story by themselves.  Mr. Owens~ also known as the manz, the husband and various other things, but always Mr. Owens- is a man of steady tastes.  He likes the practical, sensible and sturdy- the known and familiar, the comforting.  His chair, his wife, netflix, chocolate (no fancy or dark chocolate- plain is the best), icecream (again, plain chocolate please), cookies (what flavor? you guessed it! plain chocolate- although store bought branches out to oreos. Not oreo-oreos, but Walmart oreos, and never a double stuff in sight), cheese (American and square), bread (white), hotdogs (beef), classic rock, his stripy afghan, Turrello, home and his boots.

The boots are a measure of loyalty- he has a specific favorite type that is hard to find but once acquired is worn to beyond-the-bone (as in the picture above). It is time for a new pair (you think?) but that is not as easy as it may look- he got a pair for Christmas, but they were waterproof so back they went.  (Waterproof apparently doesn't let your feet breathe).   So, the requirements for the perfect pair of boots are: tan leather, not suede, light colored soles. 8" uppers, with lace holes not side grommets, not waterproof, no steel-toe, nothing fancy, just good plain boots.  Which are amazingly hard to find- and nothing else will do.  So I am still searching~

But in the meantime, his dedication to his likes is quite comforting.  I never have to worry about him straying, or getting the mid-life wanderlust that so many fall prey to- I am like his boots.  Just the right qualities, just the right fit, comfortable- which is amazing seeing as we are opposites in so many ways.  In thinking of his list above, I am opposite in many ways- I like new foods, adventures, change....but we are exactly the same about boots.  When I find the perfect pair (which are my beloved pink Doc Martins) I wear them exclusively until they fall apart... they are *my* boots and I'll have no other.  Of course they are different (what other woman of my age wears pink combat boots with everything?) and make me stand out from the herd- but they are also stable, comfortable, warm.  Just like my beloved Mr. Owens.

No comments: