Friday, May 15, 2009

Rabbit Rabbit


On the first day of every month, before you say another word, say 'rabbit' three times and you will prosper.
My old brass rabbit bank, has been around since I was little, full of pennies that are aging by the moment. Wonders. I had lots of banks, mostly brightly colored paper-mache' animals (a frog, a pig, a cow, an owl, others~) but only the cow survives of those. A mystery, I don't know what happened to them... but I love the yellow cow. This rabbit though has been a constant companion, hauled all over everywhere with me. Steady, strong, full and ready to leap off over the moon. Rabbit, rabbit, bring me luck.
Seems like I've been writing about rabbits allot lately- spring is the season for them. And the manz sometimes reminds me of a jackrabbit- long and lean and fast- not the fluffy Bunni of the garden, but the trickster that can give coyote a run for the money. and coyote I is.
Money is a tricky thing. Just found out this morning that the big chemical plant close to school - they make nail polish for Sally Hansen- is closing. 500 jobs gone, most of the parents of my students who don't work in agriculture work in the plant. This is going to have a massive impact on our small community, where already things are tight. There are just not enough jobs to go around- thank-god I work in education, can hopefully weather the economic storms. I am careful with money, but things happen in waves- and voc rehab said no-go on my hearing aids (I would have to be jobless or make under a certain amount to qualify). So I am going to continue to make do and live my interpretive life (your auntie did *what* with a squirrel? For dinner? Really? No, I would not like some soup.)

No comments: