Friday, March 30, 2012

Rainbow Fairy!


This week has been one of those busy beyond weeks, where the kids are doing midterms, the art studio is a mess, everyone has is ready for a break but there is a ton of work to yet be done....so needless to say, when I come home from school each day, the first thing on my mind is a nap.  

My beloved Mr. Owens understands that- a cool glass of tea is waiting, the bed is turned on, and I am down for an hour before dinner.  Then we can eat and talk and watch tv and draw- our time together, Turrello on his lap, Max (all 55 lbs. of him) on mine.  But...there have been mysterious visits this week!

And one more word of explanation- Ever since ever I have slept with a 'little pillow'.  The original one I had as a baby, and kept it for years until it vanished somewhere along my travels.  Then I was without one- made due with other pillows- until the magic auction a few years ago when the manz asked me out for the first time. I acquired a feather one there- originally intended for max, because it had a pink rosebud casing- but I cleaned it and quickly fell back in love with it.  (Almost as fast as I ended up falling in love with Mr. Owens).  I've slept with it ever since-

So Tuesday night this week, I had a long day- classes all day, a project to finish for ECU, live class online that night.  I got home late, had my tea and a snack, then went to bed.  In the process of getting tucked in (another ritual that I have had forever) I discovered my little pillow was all lumpy and smelled of leather.  I investigated to discover that the Rainbow Sandal Fairy had left a new pair of green rainbows tucked inside the pillow case!  Mr. Owens was about to die laughing watching me- I've needed a new pair forever, and not only are these the best sandals in the universe, but green as well....Oh, fabulous day!

Thursday was another day where a nap was immediately needed after school- the last day before break, the kids wild as ever, the studio a disaster (which I will have to tackle today), and the combination of pollen, printmaking ink, noise and weather resulting in a massive headache with sniffles.  I went straight home from school (leaving the mess, which I never do), to my husband, glass of tea and quiet house.  Crawling into bed there was another package- a t-shirt hidden between the sheets.  Brown and covered with moths, and with the bonus of stickers in the package.... Another addition to my wardrobe, which is apparently defined by lots of brown, grey, pink, green and oddly colored shoes.   Which is all perfectly me.

After the nap, we had dinner (lovely fishes, he makes the best fish for me- talapia baked with garlic, green peppers and onions in a sweet/spicy bbq light sauce), then watched some shows while cuddling our lap animals (my 'poodle' needs a bath- he digs down into the dirt under the azalea  bushes and comes in covered with azelas...but not smelling so fresh).  Soon enough, I was ready for bed.... and not expecting anything to be in the bed I flopped right down then leaped back up. There, tucked between the sheets, was my nemesis- the ear drops.  And a very, very amused Mr. Owens..... for even though I know I need them, they are something I always try to talk my way out of- for they are cold, and once in I can't hear anything, and they make my ear feel slimy...but he always makes me take them, makes sure I stick to Dr. Lori's orders (we see her this morning btw), and do what I'm told.... and it is appreciated.  I am willing to put up with the bad to earn the good, and I am lucky that I have a husband who cares so very much. 

No comments: