Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Knight in Shining Armor (with a beard)


Mr. Owens is a professional knight in shining armor.  Seriously, the new job- he goes out on call at all hours to rescue stranded motorists- not with the tow truck, but with the gas they have run out of, the keys locked in the car, the tires that are flat, batteries that are dead.  He comes back and tells me stories- and it is amazing how many people need constant rescuing- he has a talent for saving the day- patient, cheerful, funny and works really hard to find a solution to the problem.  (Which are mostly spare tire problems- spares tend to be missing, flat, stored in strange places , locked up without a key, be strange sizes).  I haven't often been stranded (knock on wood), but if I was- I should like to be rescued by the manz.

And he rescues me everyday- days like yesterday, when I got home late, covered in paint and glitter, knowing that I am going to get fussed at for removing myself from gate duty (I had track duty- and showed up- and there was not a functioning 'payment' gate or anyone to tell me what to do- I waited for awhile, then left to paint prom stuff....later found out that 'track duty' means measuring and timing and raking sand in the shot and jump pits.....oh well.  It's not like I went home- I painted, then taught my online class and was the last to leave the school as usual...but I know that the coach will be grouchy none-the-less, but tis ok)...anyway, came home late, dirty, tired....he had my tea waiting and understood when I had to go to bed right away (even tho still covered in paint- the glitter glue kind is hard to get off).  Told me stories of his day on the road, tucked me in and kept checking on me to make sure that I was breathing right. (when I get really tired I tend to hold my breath when I sleep- he nudges me so that I remember to breathe every once and again)....coffee is ready in the morning, and I am off to another marathon day- but that is ok because he has my back.  And I know that I can count on him if I need help, if something needs taken care of- he makes me feel safe and I am very grateful for that- and I'm glad that he can pass that on to others as well.

Mr. Owens is a care-taker of the those he loves- sometimes it shows in teasing (like with Grendel), sometimes very quietly (like with his folks- we don't see them all the time, but he is always there when needed) sometimes lavishly (like with our pets- they are 'children', expected to have rules and manners, go to school , but are daily cuddled and petted and played with and loved and fed dog-soup and tuna-sprinkles) and with me- constantly.  Patient when I have to work so very much, or get all stressed out about something, helping to do what needs done, listens when I'm falling apart or just complaining to get it all out of my system....but also patient when I am all hyper and have new ideas and can't sleep, when I am making huge messes (he *does* tease me though), when I get all caught up in the dramas of the kids and get absurdly worried or proud of them in turns. He knows when I am tired, hungry, thirsty... but is wise enough to let me know when I am just being lazy- all he does then is look at my feet, and I get the message 'you have feet, get your own strawberries, I'm busy right now doing man-stuff'  (and I know that he would bring me the berries, but I also know when I'm taking advantage so I get them myself).  And no, he is not perfect- and neither am I- but together we work out well and our way of being becomes our love letter to ourselves, to each other.  I am a lucky woman, he is a lucky man- and I hope we are together for a very long time.  

No comments: