Sunday, April 8, 2012

New Friends



Happy Easter!  Peter Cottontail has arrived (leaving chocolate bunnies, fruity jelly beans, peanutbutter eggs for Mr. Owens and Cadbury eggs for Grendel...I treated myself to one Russell Stovers dark chocolate coconut creme egg- which was heaven and as close as I can get to the traditional Easter Pigs from Johnstown.  I did the spring cleaning yesterday (most of it- still have to mop the kitchen floor, my least favorite chore ever) and so have been sneezing ever since, but the house sparkled and realigned is worth it.  I have some school stuff to shuffle around (one more day? please?) before tomorrow, but not worried- this is a holiday and I am holidaying- have best intentions of baking cookies: chocolate for manz, bacon for boy, lemon to take along this afternoon to dinner at the farm.  I'm going to call my Mother, and hopefully catch her and be able to say hellos- I miss her so much right now, dreaming of her every night, need to/want to call then neglect to- I am sorry mum, I want to talk and be there so much, so what I do is write.  For you, for me, for everyone- it's how I can say what is on my mind and really talk about things, rather than just daily chat- which is needed as well, I know.... I will try to do better.

This morning is cool and clear, promising to warm up to another good day.  The flowers are mostly over now, but there is the blue snake weed blooming in the yard, the glads have spiked and are growing, the plantings of snapdragons, petunias, lavender, mums, thrift and dianthius (mini carnations) are doing well.  The rose bushes have come back strong after pruning and have buds-  everything is full of butterflies and bees, fat green lizards and birds busy collecting bear-fur for nests.  I love the spring- worked out side on the porch some yesterday making prints of rabbits and kitchen witches, sometimes just sitting in the rocker drinking tea, taking a break, watching the sun.  Lovely.

Mr. Owens was down the road all day yesterday at Pauls.  Paul is a... kinda cousin?  The father of the husband of one of  the manz kinda cousins that used to be my student (Lisa).   In other words, Pender county family- there everywhere- and now I am either a) related to everyone in the county, or b) taught everyone in the county.  At least on this side.  Which is kinda nice- lots of people know us, always say hi, and kinda awkward- you always run into *someone* who knows you, even if it is 3am at Walmart and you are buying cold medicine, toilet paper and ice cream  (all emergency items of equal importance) while in your pajamas.  (which is not quite as bad as it sounds, as I mean my odd yoga-pant, sundress, sweater combination that I learned from Ms. Ball- it is layered, sheddable, comfortable and provides enough coverage to go to Walmart at odd hours)...... Anyway, Mr. Owens has been down the road working with Paul off and on, which is a good thing.  Paul has a tow-truck business, and also does emergency roadside assistance (out-of-gas, locked in keys, flat tires, dead batteries etc), which is what Charles is training to do-   This is great because it is work that is interesting, varied, and doesn't hurt- and still gives a flexible schedule.   In the meantime, Charles has also been helping Paul with stuff- mowing the grass, building a shed, a combination of work, chores and just guys-hanging-out together.

And that brings us to the picture and the story- yesterday the manz was down there working on the shed, and Pauls assorted grandkids were having an Easter Egg hunt.  Lisa and Ashley were there, and the others that I don't know- the kids had a great time hunting eggs all over.  This little fella (I don't know his name) became fascinated with Mr. Owens, especially his beard.  It was fun to look at, fun to laugh at, fun to be brave enough to finally touch it and feel the wonderful soft fuzzy goodness that is beard.  Apparently it caused quite a case of giggles!  They sent me the pictures on facebook, and I was so glad to see the story- the black dog is theirs (looks like Max a bit- but no white and not quite as.....big)  and very protective of the child, but accepted the manz after some serious sniffing.  Friends for all, and a good way to start the holiday!

No comments: