Sunday, June 10, 2012

First Cow of Summer


       Cows.  I don't think I ever painted a cow before, but it is said that people buy cow-art around here, so I thought I should learn how.  This is my first attempt- it is rather small, only 6"x6", but I rather like it.  I used a piece of masonite (one of my all time favorite things to paint on) that had been covered with an old book page full of random farming advice for the background.  It was something I had done long ago then never added anything to, but since one of the subjects was 'Dairy' it was appropriate.  The article itself briefly talks about dry cows and how they are subject to abuse and neglect, because they are no longer producing members of the farm, and cautions farmers to remember to care for these cows as well.  I sentiment that I can agree with totally- I began the cow outside on the porch, after graduation I had great delusions of spending the last bit of the afternoon painting on the porch, but was swiftly overcome with the nap monster.... the cow was finished while watching Ghost Adventures, followed by a show about hidden codes whose name I can never remember.  (and they don't really talk much about codes,  but mostly about masons and conspiracy theories- still Mr. Owens and I learned quite a bit we did not know~ interesting stuff).  Cow is watercolor and colored pencil... it is the first worthwhile thing that I have made in days so I am happy about getting back into the grove.  The total exhaustion phase of transition is over, so now it is time to get back to balancing work + art + summer + learning.
         Yesterday was graduation, and it was the first (except for Grendel's) where I didn't have a kabillion chores to do- I was on the flower committee, but the florist had that all preset up, and I didn't want to deal with ribbons/bows, so I skipped out on it and just watched.  Mr. Owens came along (and received his fair share of hugs- the students love him!) and we sat with LC- the whole thing was nice, the class song wouldn't play and no one thought to sing it (it was 'stand by me' which everyone knows the words to. The first class song that *I* knew the words to and that I actually like- they mainly choose some Mariah Carey or Whitney Houston type song...).  The kids behaved, the audience behaved and were suitably interesting to view (the  'diversity prize' goes to the family that included a female member who was dressed in the veil and robes of the orthodox Islam sitting next to another female family member who was wearing the shortest skirt possible, stripper heels and showing extreme cleavage.  Mr. Owens described them as "united through division" which was fair awesome).  And now it's over.  On to summer!
           So today I have a zillion things to do for the start up of my virtual photography class tomorrow, I need to get various other bits of paperwork in order (bleah), and I want to clean the house- it needs a good, good cleaning.  And of course I have delusions of having time to play/work in the yarden, paint some more, create world peace, start my diet, go for a walk, do *something* about my hair..... to many things.  What I want to do is to drink some coffee and surf the web, and play on project NOAH which satisfies my inner scientist.  And I want to be magically 20 years younger, 40 lbs lighter, and ... well, money would be nice.  I want to have my room arranged at school (it has become incredibly precious to me since there is a chance I may move on next year), my class arranged on line, my paperwork in order, and be ready for Texas.
       I can't wait till our trip- though I worry about the manz back while travelling- graduation tied him up in a knot yesterday, all that sitting on bleachers.  I want to see everyone, and take photographs, and write, and draw... I always have the urge to give presents to everyone as well, but have no clue what they would want (hints would be appreciated).  I love to make things, but fear that everyone is sick of that- and I am sadly out of touch with what little ones like.... there are no direct little ones in my life right now, and Grendel was pleased with odd things (as was I).  Maybe some anti-monster spray or something- I am much better at making experiences as gifts than other things, but I still want to give.... and at the moment, I have a spare cow.   Any takers?

No comments: