Thursday, June 7, 2012

VARGH! AWK! BLEAH!


I'm done.  With doctors, and medicine, and endless appointments that seem to do nothing but cost money. This year- and I *know* part of it just has to do with getting a bit older- it seems like we have done nothing but live at the doctors.  Yesterday was another trip to Wilmington, this time to a neurologist, with dual appointments for the manz and I, as referred to by our normal doctor.  (This doctor *loves* referrals.... don't know if it is because he isn't equipped to do much more than handle primary care, is restricted by clinic rules, or profits someway- probably all of the three combined.)  Anyhoo, to the neurologist in reference to the manz back and my sleeping issues.  

Once found, the office was nice enough- part of a huge medical complex- the staff didn't have much of a sense of humor though.  The doctor himself looked like an old-school scientist (white hair and beard, scruffy mismatched green tweed suit, slightly European accent) and  had a spiel that was the same for each of us.  (performance cue: if treating two patients together, don't use the same jokes in the same order for each person- makes it seem insincere and makes us wonder if you are a robot).  And Yes, I am (and Mr. Owens moreso) big on 'bedside manner'.  Mr. Owens likes his doctors to listen to what *he* has to say, ask questions and then let *him* answer- not rush him through the answers but let him explain the circumstances and context.  Doctors who listen to 'this is what I'll do, this is what I won't do' and are open to working with that- no wild horses in this world is going to get him to stop smoking or agree to needles in the back. Or surgery.  Find another way- he *knows* the back can't be repaired, just want to be able to mange it without pain or injections.  It must be possible, somehow.

As for me, it is the endless sleeping issues.... which, after being pronounced neurologically sound (meaning that yes, I am ticklish, I do respond to pin pricks and my reflexes are off the chain) was indicated to probably be related to sleep apnea, which is quite common. Of course they would like to a sleep lab study- which would be one or two nights plus a days worth of napping- and I agreed but now I'm rethinking that.  For one thing, it sounds hugely expensive, for another I have done my homework this morning on sleep apnea.   Not that I know everything, or anything more than the beginning about it- but it surely sounds exactly like what is going on.  So then I looked up treatments- the first course of treatment suggested is: sleep on your side, lose weight, no smoking (which I don't do anyway), try an antihistamine before bed to eliminate allergy-nose.  Further treatments basically include wearing a type of mask hooked to a machine that pressurizes the air keeping the airway open, oxygen, or assorted surgeries if needed.  Now, I am no rocket scientist, and I already sleep on my side, but I can try to lose some weight, avoid smoke, and take an allergy pill- at least try it for a month and see if that helps.  If it doesn't, then I will peruse other things-  but truth be told (gee- that has become a familiar saying of mine) it has been worse since I've gained weight and been around smoke more, and it is spring allergy season- it can't hurt to try, right?  And Mr. Owens suggested keeping a log of when I sleep, for how long, how tired I am etc. which also makes sense to pinpoint other factors.  In other words, just do the practical sensible thing first and see how that goes.

The good parts of yesterday though included a late lunch date of cheesesteaks, a trip to Books-A-Million for new moleskins for my calendar books, then home where I promptly fell asleep (surprise!) and pretty much slept straight through- except for a glass of tea and an episode or two of Ghost Adventures.  Last night I was sleepy- but also feeling discouraged and down a bit- this morning I am more inclined to just take things into my own hands and see what can be done about it.  It's worth a try.

No comments: