Thursday, September 3, 2009

Bonus post! 'Teacher Shoes'



These are one pair of my teacher shoes. Teacher shoes because they told us "NO RAINBOWS" this year (much to my misery) and I'm trying to conform. So I have the brown heels I bought in Texas, these black sandals, a pair of brown flats and my plaid chucks. They are all gradually moving into my office- I wear my beloved rainbows to and from school and everywhere else.

Here, I suffer. And the shoes that 'contain' my foot hurt worst of all. (yes, they are the right size) But anyway...

Today I'm stylin' in my purple skirt, black shirt and black heels. My hair is up, earrings are on. The man is all flirty and appreciative, everyone at school tells me how nice I look, and I'm attempting to work it... until we have the 'fire drill'.

It's third block, so that means we are pleasantly close to lunch time. I have been on my feet for two full classes - 180 minutes- (first block I wrote the introduction to my thesis, yay me!) and the fire alarm goes off. I'm not worried, I turn the lights off, herd the kids out- I've got my clipboard and all is right with the world. After all, the bosses told us that we would have a fire drill soon, so this must be it, right? NOT.

It's a bomb threat. We are standing outside in a soggy field for an hour... not only am I on my feet, but my heels keep sinking into the muck and I have to pull them out with this disgusting squelchy sound that causes no end of amusement to my little freshmen. To prevent sinking, I start this side to side dancing motion that keeps me on the surface and leaves a billion heel-holes in the field... awesome.

I'm inside now, they finally let us eat lunch, and I'm NOT putting those shoes back on today. Or any other 'teacher shoes'. If I'm going to get blown up, I'm going to be comfortable doing it.

1 comment:

WhistlinGypsy said...

Oh yeah- and a postscript. Another class was using a hot laminator that smells like burning tires. Of course, the whole school is assuming that it is coming from MY room, and that I am the cause of the whole fire/bomb thing. Everyone is giving me dirty looks and asking me - in a nice way- "What the HELL are you doing in the art room? it STINKS!"
We are just using pencils. Honest.
Not everything stinky or messy is my fault!