Monday, March 16, 2009

Blue Moon


"I see the moon and the moon sees me

The moon sees someone I want to see

God bless the moon, and God bless me

God bless the one I want to see"


I used to sing that to Grendel every night when he was small- part of his bedtime ritual. I remember being sung that when I was small- for some reason it made me slightly sad, but loved all at the same time. I suppose a feeling of distance and longing and wishing to keep everyone that you love safe.


I painted this moon when Grendel was a baby in preschool- at Rainbow school. I worked there so we could have the best of both worlds, a full time income and I was with him. That is where I discovered that I like teaching... When the little ones would take their naps, I would read or paint. There was a bunch of old blocks that were going to be tossed out and replaced with plastic (safer edges, no concussions or splinters, and they could be disinfected). I claimed the old wooden blocks, began painting them- this was my favorite that I made for myself. I love it's shape, the way it balances, the color blue~ and when the moon is shining, I'll think of you!

No comments: