Monday, March 23, 2009

Early Spring



There are few things I love as much as driving, and few places as beautiful as the south in the springtime. Grendel is safely at school again, I am back home- a bit over 12 hours, which is not bad considering that we stopped a billion times, there was crawling construction by Florence (always) and I walked around Savannah a bit...

Traveling with Grendel is always fun- either he is sound asleep and therefore easy to get along with, or he is awake and goofy (traveling makes him goofy- makes me goofier)... today he was awake and we talked and sang along to Barley Juice- he made me tell him the story of Finnegan's Wake again- we had an ice cube war on I-95 (I admit to starting it by spitting an ice cube out and it smacked him squarely on the noggin)... I was *not* able to stop and explore anything because we were on a time schedule and I wore flip flops- but we shared pistachios and snowcaps, and he got an ice cream out of one of the rest-stop vending machines. (Amazing how people cluster around to watch the machine work it's magic...) He is not sure quite yet if he is going to UAT or going to stay in Savannah another year... it's his choice and I know he will find the place he needs to be. I trust him to grow up- not an easy thing, but a good thing.

Driving home it was warm, I happily continued to sing- I love to sing, don't do it well but I do it often! Windows down and the light- the light was just magical. Everything warm and safe and waiting to grow. Blueberry bushes with tiny pink flowers, the vineyards full of red vines, snowy clouds of Bartlet pear and peach trees... red bud in the woods, and wild tangles of Carolina creeper. The air smelled of flowers and hogs- in alteration- and freshly cut grass with the sharp scent of green onions. Dark still swamps, white sandy fields, tumble down houses and lines of trailers bright with plastic eggs and bunnies. I am falling in love with the south all over again, part of me is home here.

No comments: