Sunday, March 8, 2009

Spring Forward

Granny Wrye's clock- Ansonia, Royal Bonn, 'La Nord' in a rare pink instead of the more common blue. These clocks were made from 1885-1910, so Granny must of acquired it either from family or later- Sadly it has seen better days. The right side was broken and glued long ago, and it hasn't worked as long as I remember- except the occasional middle-of-the-night-scare-you-to-death random gonging. If it was in perfect condition, the pink sells for about 2,500...but as it is- it is of sentimental value and therefore priceless.

(I love the internet! You can find out about *anything*!)

Now, on to time itself. Spring forward day. Time travel day. Time travel- thought impossible but we all do it- an hour here or there, add a day, lose a day. Easy. Clocks (and watches) and I are not pals. Watches never work on me, they get all squirrely and then just stop. Clocks never keep the right time- they skip ahead or lag behind despite new batteries, or being electric or even being computer. (My computer decided the other day to use 'military time' which takes me forever to figure out... so I just ignore it.) My car clock is never right either- though Grendel resets it constantly. (It happily just does what it wants to...) My school clocks drive everyone nuts- I have three. The wall clock, the phone clock and the computer clock- all different and all different from the 'official' school time.... even though the phone and computer are supposed to be automatically aligned. Various folks have tried to fix this, to no avail. (and it doesn't matter that I have switched- upgraded- computers.... time does as it pleases)

So, anyway, it bothers me not the slightest that the clock doesn't work. It's a pretty thing- overdone and fancy, something that I would never have chosen for myself, but I have grown to like it non-the-less. Broken but beautiful.

As for time itself, I have time problems. I hate being late, but -despite the clocks not working- I have a fair accurate natural time sense. I can tell myself to wake up at a certain time and I will, I am close to the correct time when someone asks me. I don't know if it is cicadian alignment, or that I pay attention to the light, or it could just be magic. It's ok. But day wise? I never know the date, work to remember which day of the week it is, and have to think about the month. I think in terms of seasons, the years blend together and it is a struggle to remember exactly what happened when. I never remember birthdays or anniversaries- don't take it personally, I just don't know what day it is. Or month. Or year. Or how old you are. Or- for that matter- how old I am. I mean, I know it when I have to think about it- (how old I am not the other stuff) but usually I just don't pay attention to it. I just live my life without counting every second-

Have you ever noticed that time speeds up or slows down at will? Somedays last forever- in a dull way- sometimes time is like a rubberband and you can get an amazing amount of work done in a few minutes. Then you turn around and it's suddenly time to go....

No comments: