Thursday, March 12, 2009

My Chair..



My favorite chair in the multiverse- the universe is just not big enough for all of it's chair-goodness. This is where art is made, novels are read, dvd's are watched. Where I snuggle max, do homework, talk on the phone to mum.

Melissa gave me this chair back when she moved to the mountains- she has her own favorite chair 'the mommy throne' (the story of which is on her blog) but this is mine. Why?

It was freely given, first to her, then to me. It is leather. I love leather furniture, covet it greatly. Uncle Jack had a short dark leather couch under a ficus tree- I would lay on that couch and look out the big windows at Morro Rock, the sun setting over the sea. Mother had a big red leather recliner... I remember her in it, feet up, Ginger on her lap, "reading" with her eyes closed.

There is something about leather. The way it feels, the way it smells. Like horses and saddles and it doesn't show stains, wear through like cloth. I love it best when it is scratched and scuffed and worn soft- my chair has a multitude of dog scratches, paint on the arms. I do take care of it- clean it and wax it occasionally- but it's purpose is to be comfortable and useful not an untouched show piece.

The shape is perfect for me- it's rounded and cosy, not to wide- I am forever losing things in wide chairs, couches, but not tight. Big enough that I can turn sideways and put my legs over the arms if I want, or lounge out on the automan, or curl up into a smile. If I need to use the automan as a table, I can. Or max can sit on it and look at me, pretend he's a circus dog. Or one of the Monster's friends can use it while playing video games- or it can hold a tray of coffee and Mexican bakery.... or treasures from the auction.... or a multitude of other things.

No comments: