Thursday, March 5, 2009

Rowdy Taters!


I forgot to charge the batteries *again* so here is another 'blast from the past', literally. We stopped at Rowdy Taters on the way home from NOLA last spring- it is somewhere around Pass Christian, Mississippi on the coastal highway. The concept of Rowdy Taters is good...but... well, let's just say that a lesson was learned about indulging in 'RT's' when on a long road trip.
Now, I love taters. Baked, mashed, fried, hashed, chipped- sweet, savory, peroiged, Sheppard's-pied, souped. Some of the best taters lately was the 'cheeseburger fries' consumed at a Denny's in Raleigh- just like a cheeseburger but sans bun. Extra pickles. (I wish they would just make pickle burgers.) Sweet potato curly fries at the Highland Games are wonderful- hot, crispy with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Sometimes a heap of McDonald's fries can be quite satisfying- if they are hot and have salt. No one likes cold, limp, greasy....
In my 'if I had a restaurant' fantasies (which strictly are. I have worked in restaurants and no-thank-you. I would stay strictly on the concept side of restaurant creation). anyway, I would have a PB&J that specializes in- PB&J. Anyway you want it- from the classic kid's version (crusts optional) to extra deluxe exotic versions. Choose your peanut butter (or almond butter, or nutrella or...) choose your spread (jams/ jellys/ preserves/ fruit butters/ fluff/ chocolate/marmite etc.) choose your bread (white/brown/grainy/flat/tortilla/crusts on or off/ toasted or not/ cut into squares or triangles or diagonals or just folded over) and your exotics if desired (bacon- laugh not, it's good- ramen noodles, bananas, dried apricots, coconut, ice cream, graham cracker crumbs, cool whip).... Melissa is the only person I know that hates peanut butter. I remember the first time- way back when- she ever dog sat for us I stocked the house with peanut butter based snacks, thinking that 'oh, everyone likes peanut butter!'..... well.....nope. There is always the maverick~

No comments: