Friday, June 5, 2009

Hot-N-Now



We went to Wilmington after school today, looking around- found a discarded treasure (I'll talk about that another day! Just say I'm glad I have a station wagon). Anyway, I kept driving and driving, because I remembered that *somewhere* in Wilmington was a KrispyKreme- and the manz loves doughnuts.

Now, doughnuts are available in groceries, and krispy kreme is in the gas stations, sold at school for fundraisers, but it is NOTHING like hot-n-now when it is coming right off the conveyor belt and into the icing to land happily in the box. One short step from blissful goodness. We got a dozen hot, a dozen mixed- chocolate, filled, sour cream (that's for me!) ate some hot ones in the car, now making coffee. Doughnuts for dinner. Yummmy....

I remember learning how to make doughnuts in the bakery in Charleston. I loved doing the doughnut shift- which was 5 to 11. They would be risen from overnight in the proof box, laid out on the wire grill like nuts for bolts. When the grill was placed into the hot fat they pop to the top, then you turn them at just the right moment- you know you have it perfect if they are golden brown on top and bottom with a cream colored stripe around the sides.... then through the icing waterfall thing, hot and fresh, sticky and placed into boxes, set neatly on trays. I liked doing the speciality doughnuts as well- filling them with apples or cream, raspberry jam, lemon. The best thing though was what Virgina taught me- Virgina the ancient black lady, not Virgina the cranky boss lady. Virgina ate her doughnuts hot with a slice of deli cheese on top. The cheese would get all melted, salty-sweet and creamy...different, delicious and very satisfying.

Now we are settled in for the night- hot coffee and doughnuts, a netflixed movie, doggs running outside hoping that they will get lucky later and score a few crumbs- Sorry doggs, they're all ours!

No comments: