Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Air-Head



Ok, so this isn't actually something I own, it's a photo of a box taken at the auction. BUT I do remember this aqua hard-shell hair dryer that Sue and Barbie used to use- and the curlers with holes in them- pink, aqua and some nasty bristly ones that I didn't like to play with. (The other ones made awesome tunnels for matchbox cars, or set on their sides you could thread a stick through the holes and make horse jumps).

Bobby pins, dipity-doo (again, pink/blue/aqua with tiny bubbles in it) various brushes and rattail combs.

I never quite got the hang of beauty treatments. At 45, I still don't shave my legs or pluck my eyebrows (thanks brooke shields)- actually, sometimes I do go get the brows waxed (it's nice, doesn't hurt), never remember how to do makeup and my hair just does what it does. I've tried 'cut-n-style' and learned a few things: 1) when I had short hair, all the women in the family loved it but men hated it. no dates, no attention, no nada. am vain enough that I like the attention, and I would dream about it constantly (the missing hair) so have decided that short hair and I are not pals. 2) My hair is curly. Never does the same thing twice, and it's hard to find people who know how to cut curly hair. Best cuts come from black-ladies who understand the curl- but they are hard to find at the cheapie places I frequent. 3) I like it long, even though it's a mess. Usually I pull it up into 'waitress' 'princess' or 'chibi knots/ teddybear hair' ... mother has her hair long and wears it up, granny wrye had her hair long and wore it up... suppose it's destiny.

Sometimes I wonder where I missed out on all the beauty knowledge that everyone else seems to be born with- all my students have perfect hair, precise makeup (even if it's odd, it's well done).... in comparison with other 'adults' I am fair hopeless. I don't wear jewelry, or grown up shoes, my clothes come from walmart and thrift stores. Old Navy if I'm feeling flush. It's not a bad thing, it's a me thing- when I dress like other people I feel very fake and can't function normally- I am self conscious as hell. I am comfortable in my own skin, but still- I wonder why...

No comments: