Thursday, January 22, 2009

America


"This is my ambition for AMERICA; that wherever an American citizen may go upon the earth he will be honored and loved, because he represents a nation that has nothing but justice and kindness for all races of men."
I meant to put this up Tuesday, but was distracted by snow and bread. As always, Maslow's basic needs win out over abstract thoughts, then I was sleepy and didn't think about it.
Politically, I call myself an anarchist. Freedom without rules means ultimate personal responsibility- which is why anarchy doesn't work. People aren't responsible. What it means to me is that I try to be responsible for myself, solve my own problems, work as hard as I can as cheerfully as possible, be a nice person. I help others because I *want* to, not because I *have* to. At the same time, I occasionally happily break rules- but at my choice and discretion with full acceptance of the consequences.......
Other people call me 'really really really liberal', and I am. I believe in freedom, personal responsibility, that everyone is equal regardless. Just regardless. Different isn't better or worse, just different, and that is ok. To me, the new administration brings a time of hope- not that all the problems will be solved, or even addressed correctly, or that a new choice will right old wrongs- but hopefully a return to a bit of kindness, a bit of joy. Right now we could all do with some joy.

No comments: