Friday, January 16, 2009

NewShoes!


Yesterday I woke out of my NyQil induced coma (I have the flu. it sucks- and I *have* to go to school today, which sucks worserer)... anyhoo, tap tap tapping on my door was the UPS man with my school books and NEW RAINBOWS! I have lusted after rainbows for years- but have been two stingy to buy them for myself.... Melissa gave me a pair of green ones this past summer and it is foot-heaven...and now I have the long-coveted sand color.
I know, I know, the majority of the country is in single digits, birds are flying into planes, and it's just not sandal weather but ..... it's *always* rainbow weather down south. They are the shoes you wear with everything, at any time... the only ones that don't kill my feet. I'm not a shoe person, besides the rainbows I have a pair of chucks (second-hand) my Chinese flats (ancient) and heels-for-funerals-and-graduation. Thing is, I can wear real shoes maybe a day at a time, then the feet hurt and demand their freedom. Rainbows never hurt, they are perfect and I am in love.
Funny thing is, LC and I were talking about shoe stores when we were kids, how they were different from the stores of today. Back then, the shoe stores- mainly Thom McAn- had wooden floors, those wonderful black metal foot-measuring slider things (or, in my case, the much scarier foot-xray machine), smelt of shoe polish and leather and were run by older men who look like Orville Redebacher. Suspenders and bow-ties. White shirts, gray trousers, dress shoes. They had the foot rest stools that looked like little slides, kept wooden shoetrees in the ladies pumps, had the wooden fake legs for inside snowboots. Kiwi polish in cordovan red and Buster Brown (I always thought the Buster Brown dog was the same dog as the Coppertone dog...) Shoe strings and brushes, narrow rows of neatly stacked boxes. Absolutely no bling, and orthopedic shoes were the thing! Yowsza!

No comments: