Monday, January 19, 2009

Comfy-Cozy



There is a promise of afternoon snow, and it being MLK day we haven't any school. I'm feeling better, and it's nice to know that I have another long day to read and study, drink coffee and huddle under my comfy-cozy to watch yet another disk of Buffy....

Mum made this. All the time I was growing up she always had a project going, would be working on something during the evening while watching tv. Usually crochet or embroidery, neat balls of yarn, tightly stretched hoops. I caught on to the embroidery right off, and I still love it. She patiently tried to teach me how to crochet, but I never got much beyond a stripe or two of chain/ single/double... to this day I am an impatient artist who wants results now! My friend Karen took to it though, and was soon churning out Afghans and scarves... I was so jealous. Melissa has tried again to nudge me into crochet or knitting, but I remain impatient, addicted to results.

I wonder how many Afghans mum made all together. All of us kids have at least one that was intended for us, the grandkids all have one, she made them for Daddy, Jack, Granny Wrye, everyone. I have this one, the two fisherman styles, Grendel's that has beautiful colored squares, several small ones that I think were Granny's and Jacks. My big grey and burgundy one was lost in a fire (minor fire- it fell on a space heater and melted. The heater shorted out, so the house didn't catch on fire, it could be said that that Afghan saved my life)

This is my favorite. I like the way the colors pop against the blue, the pattern that looks like millifleur beads in paperweights. That odds and ends are put together but somehow they match up. That it is so well crafted that it has lasted all these years, all the moves across country, the kids, the pets, endless spills and washings and it is still beautiful.

No comments: