Friday, January 23, 2009

Cherry Thieves



I have always loved these dishes- they are the 'winter' dishes on my hutch, along with others in brown, blue, cream. The birds fit with them, and the glass cherries- I wish I could remember where I found the glass cherries- Charleston or Texas... anyway, the cherry thieves remind me of Pennsylvania, Mum, Granny Wrye (she had a brown coo coo clock - the bird always had a red plastic cherry in its mouth. The clock is long gone, but somehow I ended up with the bird...)

What is it that makes me love these so? I love the colors, an unusual but subtle combination. The pattern- the flowers look like embroidery, the birds like distlefinks. It's calm and interesting all at once, old fashioned but not dressy or cute.

Most of them are gone- I have a few remaining pieces- the big teapot (minus lid), a creamer with a broken handle, the salt and peppers, 3 large plates, a broken small one and a billion bowls. Bowls seem to be indestructible. I don't use patterned dishes for food- I use the plain white sturdy corel ware that was Mums... food does look nice on white dishes, they are hard to break, and there is a certain satisfaction when they are all sparkling clean and stacked neatly..... but I do love to look at patterned work, and these the best of all.

No comments: