Sunday, January 4, 2009

Never Forget



Elephants never forget, but that doesn't mean that sometimes they are forgotten. This elephant obviously doesn't belong to me (though I would give her a home if I could- if I had a truck and a crane and could take all of her 'friends' along) ... but as I was coming home from taking Grendel to college I decided to do a bit of exploring. First up was the "Family Fun" motel at SOB, abandoned for years, spent about an hour photographing there- someone had thieved all the little rocket ships.

Stopped by White Lake on the way home- these Elephants used to stand proudly in the woods (a mama and baby, along with a mama/baby giraffe, a pissed off rhino and a killer whale with a boy rider). I always wanted to photograph them, but the light wasn't right, or I was in a rush. Just the splendid weirdness of jungle animals roaming the North Carolina woods.

When I stopped this time- the animals were piled at the back of a field. The babies were standing- and the whale was propped up carefully, but the mama's had toppled over and the poor whale rider had suffered several bullet holes (making for some *very* disturbing photos). I feel absurdly sorry for these creatures- I would like to rescue them, paint them in bright designs, put them somewhere amusing. But I lack a crane-and-a-truck.

As for elephants, they never forget- and when their trunk is up it is good luck. Mother collects elephants, Barbie cries over Dumbo (I do to- so much so that I *won't* watch it. ever. again.) I am like the elephant- I have a good memory, and I never forget though it can take me a light-year to forgive things. Which is why (the good memory part) that I can't spell or do math well- I *remembered* my way past tests, but never *learned* the information. Thank-god for spellcheck-

No comments: