Saturday, May 19, 2012

Not a painting- a work of art.


This is my apron- one of them.  Several years old, bought at a thrift store for 3 dollars, worn at school, at home, out painting with our roadshow- everywhere.  It has become an artwork unto itself- the layers of paint so thick that parts of it are waterproof and quite stiff.  The pant is layered on- somewhere on there is a hand-sewn butterfly- and the pocket (also sewn on) is torn at the top and knotted.  There is a ring for holding my keys, folding scissors and safety pins- the pocket itself starts out the day with a black pen, my cell phone, purple scissors, hall passes and needles and somehow always ends up with those things all magically replaced with crumbs, kleenexs, and- if I'm luck- a candy wrapper.  I go through more needles and black pens than anyone I know... they simply vanish.  My cell phone just likes to play games and escapes to hide under various heaps of stuff until I am forced to have some student call it and we all play hide-and-seek.  Work and play, makes my day!

Today is Springfest- one of the longest days of all- I am up having a coffee and writing before I gather the last few things, shower, unpack the car- wake up Mr. Owens so that he can repack the car plus tables, chairs, tent and my artwork (Brutus is already full of student artwork- the manz claims that everything can fit, and I just have to trust him- I am very good at packing, but he is pure magic).  I have to be in Burgaw at 7am to get my minions organized, set up our booth, the school's booth *and* the county art show.  Mr. Owens is on call and has to work today- had to last night as well- so I am on my own (except for minions, who may or may not show up, and once there, may or may not wander off randomly).  Hopefully it won't rain today- it has rained all week, so it should of gotten it's rain out.... and hopefully we will make some much needed cash- wish us well.

Last night was the first night of our spring production- a musical version of Alice in Wonderland- and the kids and LC did a good job.  I wish I had had time to have designed the sets- even if it was just painting the backdrops- the only issue with the play was the lack of sets.  Props, yes- but no framing sets.  I know I don't have time to do yet another thing- but I do have ideas on ideas and visions...and it would of been fun. They did well though- the choreography and singing were excellent, the acting and movement and costumes wonderful- and for a first performance it was well done.  Cudos to LC and the kids!

And now it is time to get this show on the road, pull and pack and repack and unpack and set up then do it all again.  With luck and love it will all work out and the day will be blessed.

No comments: