Monday, February 9, 2009

Early Spring



The weather warmed over the weekend- yesterday was beautiful and I spent it cleaning, doing homework. This morning I noticed that the forsythia had began to bloom- the first of the spring bushes. It was absolutely glowing in the early morning, beautiful.

I remember spring in Pennsylvania, and here in the mountains- little hints of gradual color, bits of snow still around. Going for rides in the car to look at the blossoms, hills filled with apple trees and dogwood.

Beautiful, gradual and cold still~

Here it is different. Once the forsythia has begun everything else will burst out in a riot of color. The dogwoods (I have seven trees), the hot pink azaleas, the wisteria that climbs and creeps over everything. The daffodils that have already sprouted in their neat rows. Bridal bush with it's tiny white flowers, sweet smelling mock-orange, and my favorite Lady Baltimore that climbs all over my bedroom window. Dozens and dozens of blossoms everywhere you look.

It is supposed to stay warm and sunny all the week- I wish I could stay home and play in the yarden. I do need to clip bushes, rake and mow... truth is, I am *not* a garden guru. I love to look at plants, name them and know their properties, but I haven't the rapport with them I do with animals. But I'll photograph them, and press them and dry them, write about them in my plant journals, do watercolor paintings that look like something from long ago.

No comments: