Sunday, February 22, 2009

Little Birds


My kitchen window is home to a flock of little glass birds. Mother collected them over the years during our trips down to the glass factories. The three colored birds are from Westmoreland, the two small clear birds are from somewhere else.
Many of these birds are missing their long tails, beak tips, wing tips, but I love them none-the-less. The two little clear birds have been the stars of several wedding cakes- including my own- they make an unusual topper nested among flowers, vines.
I remember the trips down to the glass factories- we most always took the tour, seeing how the glass was melted, colored, pressed. The huge show rooms full of plate, delicate glasses, and the colorful animals that were my favorites. I still have a few other pieces of the colored glass- a pink bowl, three heavy goblets I bought on our last trip to the factory in Jeanette, a blue bull dog and an owl with paste diamond eyes. A rare lamp and pitcher that is Fostoria. Suzy has the milk glass- creamy white, nested chickens, woven and hobnail. Barbie has the glass apples that came from everywhere- all little bits of alchemy, fire and sand, color, light and memory.

No comments: