Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Visitation


The photo is old- I took it years ago when we lived on the island and I drove to work via Castle Hayne every day. Coffee sign sitting in a field, no rhyme or reason or anything around it to give it context. Love the way the cup is painted, the steam making a question mark- wish now I would of 'acquired' the sign... next time I passed it was ruined and and field dug up in preparation for yet another gas station.... but this has nothing to do with today's story except for the image of the coffee with the question.
Last night I went to bed early. This is normal- I am not a night person (except in the summer when naps can happen at will), and after chores, homework and a bit of studio work I was tucked in by 9. I fall asleep instantly- never have had trouble with that. At 9:24 (I checked the clock, thinking it was much later) I was awakened by a smell. Not just any smell, but the strong lovely unmistakable odor of ground fresh coffee beans. Let's be particular for a moment: *not* a left-over-from-breakfast coffee smell, or a connivance-store stale coffee smell, or a starbucks smell or even a grocery store smell. But the specific smell of dark roasted, oily, high-quality coffee beans that are just ground. Nothing like it. I was instantly wide-awake in anticipation of breakfast/coffee (that is why I checked the clock, hoping it actually was breakfast time)....
Ok. Now, I could dismiss this as a particularly vivid dream (I can smell/taste things in dreams) or some accident of brain chemistry, except for the reaction of the dogs. They share my room at night and are usually about as active as potatoes (unless max is cold and thiefing blankets). But they were all wide awake. Now the odd part- Max was cuddled close to me, trying to disappear into the blankets. (Ok, maybe that isn't so odd- Max is a snuggle puppy)... Ursula was growling deep, and it eventually turned into her 'back-off' bark. (Ok, maybe we could explain that by bad-dog-dreams, or outside noises or whatever)....but one and one make two, and Jezebelle's reaction makes three.
Jezebelle is a bloodhound. She is purebred, a former search dog, has a nose like a spotlight. She wasn't growling or barking or baying like she normally does if there are odd noises- she was smelling. When Belle 'smells' a scent, she is totally focused. Her nose makes this popping noise, her breathing changes, she is perfectly still until she can hone in on the source. She sniffs things all the time, but this scenting is rare. Whatever it was that I was smelling (coffee)
Belle was smelling it to.
After awhile- long enough for me to visit the bathroom and check the coffeemaker (I knew it was off- I only have coffee in the morning- but I unplugged it just in case)- the smell was abruptly gone. Another odd thing is that while I was checking things, the dogs stayed firmly in the bedroom (they usually follow me about) and I swear Belle did not move a muscle (except nose muscles? do dogs *have* nose muscles?) As soon as the smell faded, everyone settled down, went back to sleep- Max returned to his cave under the bed, Belle her nest, Bear her usual sleeping position of 'bear-skin rug' in the middle of the floor.
I tried to think about who I know that is associated with coffee- the only person is Ms. Ball (Melissa) but not this type of coffee. She has her own delightful coffee blend that smells of nutmeg and cinnamon- very distinct. Everyone else I know just drinks normal coffee, and in a normal way. I don't know what this was about, or how to explain it, but it has stuck with me. It wasn't a particularly vivid dream- the coffeemaker was unplugged this morning. I suppose it was just a spirit passing by, stopping to share a cuppa joe....

1 comment:

WhistlinGypsy said...

Just one more disclaimer- my house doesn't smell like coffee...right now it smells strongly of peppermint because of using the essential oil to repel mice (it works! give it a go!).... makes things all the odder....