Thursday, February 19, 2009

Lassie


It is time for our class on security objects in crafts, and that means I get to take Lassie to school with me! Yay!
I love Lassie still, even though Lassie is over 40 years old and frequently mistaken for a opossum... I fell in love with her at first sight long ago. She was in the window of a store in San Luis Obispo CA. and mum, granny wrye and I would go by often to 'visit' her. There was another Lassie there- a brown one- but I loved the gray.
She was not so disheveled then- her fur was long and silky, she had a collar with a little plastic brush attached to it. I was head-over-heels in love with her...I was only four but I knew magic when I saw it. Mum gave her to me for my fifth birthday- I don't remember the birthday, but I know I never let Lassie go for years. I slept with her snuggled close every night for years. She went on all my travels, to college, to California and back. She was there for every heart break, she supported my head when I was having Grendel. (She was just the perfect sausage shape to fit behind my neck...)
The collar was the first to go. Then I lost the brush. Mum replaced the collar with the one Lassie still wears- it's a gold and jewel toned bit of trim that I loved. Eventually Lassie's fur became matted beyond hope and the sawdust started showing through the fabric of her paws. Her nose disappeared and ear wires poked through. One eye has vanished... but I love her still. She sits in splendor on a stack of quilts on top of the old white amore in my room. Sometimes, I still hold her close- comfort is a thing we never outgrow.

No comments: