Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentines~

Another image from my kitchen, the heart of the home. I think the picture once belonged to Granny Wrye~ the young woman resembles her and I like to think that is what it was like when she and Poppy were courting. Graceful elegant clothes, a parasol in the spring, exquisite manners. Romance.

Our family was always romantic. My parents told each other they loved each other, held hands, kissed under the mistletoe. Flowers and chocolates (dark caramels), notes under the coffee cup every morning. Cards and presents, Daddy singing- but more than that the doing things together. I remember my parents going for endless rides just to look at the beauty of world, claiming a mountain for their own, dressing up to go out to dinner. Sitting on the porch talking for hours. Walking in the garden, pointing out every new growth, finding every bunny or bird that visited. Winter evenings around the table that was lit by candles or oil lamps.

No, things were not always perfect- of course not. But that cultivation of Romance, of viewing not only each other but the world through Romantic eyes left a lasting impression. I believe in the ultimate beauty of the world, the goodness of things and people, the ability of every one of us to work the magic needed to make life special. That love is something filled with kindness and joy and the happiness of just being. That it is every ones right to love and be loved with freedom and care and grace. I love my place in the world, and I love that you are in it.

No comments: