Thursday, April 23, 2009

Domestic Bliss


Domestic bliss = crockpot food. This man has me cooking, so you know it's serious... and it's not because I have to, but because I want to. It's kinda fun to dust off my long-neglected cooking talents and take them out for a spin. So far he is surviving my attempts, and everything turned out ok except for the bread- but that doesn't count cause bear stole the whole loaf. (Bad bear, bad bad bad bear).
Anyway, I love crockpots. They solve a wealth of food problems because you can just put stuff in it in the morning, come home to instant tasty-goodness after work. No-fuss, no muss.
I remember Daddy's great big avocado green crockpot- one of the originals- with the drawing of vegetables on the front. The first of many in the family... I have 3 for food at the moment: a huge one that mel gave me for Christmas, a medium size one that is great for single dinners, and the smaller one (pictured) which was good for just me, or cooking down a particular thing. (In this case homemade bbq- the pork is cooked first all night slow in the biggest crock, then taken out this morning, chopped, seasoned and packed into the smallest crock with the bbq sauce where it will cook slow all day...yummmmm.....ready for sandwiches , picnics on the porch with iced tea and porch swings.
I'm remembering how to cook, but not what to cook. Isn't that funny? I start off with the basics here- spaghetti, roast, bbq... what next? meatloaf... um... hum. Don't think he is quite ready for Haluski or Halupkies (did I spell that wrong?) maybe ease into it with peroiges and stroganoff- Sheppard's pie and the like. Actually, it's not the season yet, but I would just about kill for some fresh peach cobbler with vanilla icecream. Or real blueberry muffins (the fake ones just piss me off- those little blue rocks are in no way berries). ... but it is time for strawberry shortcake, so I might try my hand at that. Use to make a delightful one.

No comments: