Friday, April 3, 2009

Lavender Green



l love lavender- and days of unexpected surprises. The lavender came from a friend at school- see every year the teachers play this 'secret pal' game. You have a pal and every month you are supposed to surprise them with a gift. At the start everyone fills out this form saying what they like, when their birthdays are etc. It *sounds* like a good idea, *sometimes* it works out well, then sometimes you get things that are just not meant to be yours.

The lavender. It's beautiful, the good kind, highly scented... but the person who received it had a massive sneezing attack and tossed it in my direction. Received, appreciated!

Then King's Christmas continued- a random grandma donated masking tape, spray paint, pencils, sharpies. Someone at school gave me an old bottle- I haven't figured out what it was used for yet, but there are measurements on the side so I'm thinking medicine. Charles stopped by after work with another treasure- an ancient bottle of Castor oil, with a raised glass inscription. The way to King's heart is through junk! such a gypsy.

Thing is, I love the old things, the unwanted- I am happier with discarded bottles and rusty keys, dried lavender and side-of-the-road than I am with bright sparkly store bought things. (tho I do like some of those occasionally!) but the older things have more of a soul, and because they were found and freely given, it is as they were blessed by the universe, meant to be. They have already had a long life of their own before they come into mine- I like that idea of shared history, collective soul.

No comments: